17 March 2010

Filipino Food Frights #2 - Extra Protein

Chicken-on-a-stick with plain white rice is my staple lunchtime meal.  At least here in Iloilo the chicken comes with a bit if meat on it, rather than the thin, emaciated excuse for chicken that I'd get in Toledo.

However, I was aware that a diet of chicken and rice is somewhat lacking in vegetable content so recently I had a chop suey with it, consisting of carrots, cabbage, green beans, cauliflower and maggots.  Or was it caterpillars?  You know I just can't be sure, it's rather like trying to distinguish the difference between pak -choi and spinach.

Where the big difference lies is that a caterpillar lives on vegetation.  A maggot lives on rotting flesh, which gives me serious reservations about the freshness of the chicken.

Here's a couple of photos so see if you can decide if it's maggot or caterpillar and cast your votes on the right of the page.

Extra Protein (Circled)

. . . . And Close Up

3 comments:

  1. it's not a caterpilla....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm tasty! I had a battered cockroach from Sea Farer chippy in Basildon bus station when I was a boy, I thought it was a local delicacy. I'd say just it eat, it looks like it's been cooked, what's wrong with you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caterpillar . . . and you've already sucked the juice out . . . . About 50 calories each one . . . now would it have been a moth or a butterfly? guess we shall never know.

    ReplyDelete