21 December 2011

Half Century

Fifty years is a long time and it's odd that we should celebrate that milestone of our existence, especially as we hurtle towards the one of the few absolute certainties that exist: our demise.  I guess that from a point of view, the fact that we've made it so far and been fortunate enough to have had a happy and fulfilling life then there are grounds for celebrating, but for me I wasn't particularly bothered about partying the night away just because I'd reached fifty. However, on the other hand I wasn't dismayed and depressed that I had become so old, it's just a fact of life and looking forward to making the most of the coming, and remaining years, is what's important.

So there was no big bash but I did take a weeks holiday and went to Malaysia to meet my sister, Carol.  We met up in KL, which is a wonderful city, and generally hob-nobbed it over a long weekend, eating, drinking and most importantly, laughing our time away.

KLCC

Also, my mate Tall Kev travelled up from Singapore, desperately ill, but soldiered on.  He couldn't make it out the first night up, and had to have an early night, but the next day when he was feeling better we (Kev, me and Carol) made up for it by having a champagne brunch in the Mandarin Oriental and an extended session drinking more champagne ("That's your third bottle!" the waitress, somewhat agog, said in the Sky Bar at the Traders Hotel), beer, cocktails and spirits in the afternoon and into the evening.

Beer after the champagne - surely the wrong order?

From KL we went to the island of Penang and lived it up staying in the gloriously glamorous old colonial hotel, The Eastern and Oriental. The sea around Penang isn't particularly inviting when it comes to swimming and diving (that's what Langkawi or the islands off the east coast are for) but the E&O makes up for it by have a wonderful terrace pool.  Our time was spent lounging here or going out into George Town to admire the lovely old architecture of the city and to indulge in brilliant Malaysian/Asian cuisine, which Penang in particular seems to excel at.  I think I can safely say, each and every meal we had was exceptional.

Poolside at the E&O
A Cure for Chinese Farmer Giles
The penultimate day of the holiday for my sister ended with trip to Singapore and a tour of the bars and hawker centres around China Town.  I remained a bit longer in order to make a visit to our head office but the theme of good food and drinking continued with a champagne Sunday brunch at the Fairmont Hotel with my good friend Tall Kev and his family.  The night before I left Singapore it was a 10pint Guinness session with a work colleague before heading back to Subic Bay.

Ready for Another Night Out
Now I need to dry out and slim back down!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like I missed a really great time! Some great pictures and Carol looks stunning in the group photo!

    Will definitely get over to see you early 2012, sad I missed your Birthday....

    FB

    ReplyDelete