21 February 2011

Cat on a Cold Concrete Roof

Between the dogs yelping and barking and whining I could hear a cat meowing.  Not just a regular meow but clearly a cat in distress.  Having made, or rather in the process of making friends with the feral cats that live in our garden (see here for video: New Feline Friends ), I'd noticed that of the 3 kittens one was missing.  The meowing seemed to be coming from the neighbouring house (not the barking dog neighbours but the other side) so I had a look in that direction.  

The sound was definitely coming from there but I just couldn't see where from and so I wondered if it had become trapped in a box or a drain or something like that.  But the meowing was just too loud and too clear.  Then I clocked it - the kitten was on the roof of the house.  I have no idea how it managed to climb up there - it's a two storey house and the nearby tree branches look far too flimsy for a cat, even a very small one, to climb along and onto the roof.

I called my driver over and pointed out the cat on the roof.  He spoke to my the caretaker of my neighbour (my house is a semi detached house) and he casually mentioned that he knew about it because he'd seen it last Friday.  Today is Monday so the poor little kitten had been trapped on the roof for at least 3 to 4 days - if not longer, but the caretaker seemed quite happy to just sit and watch it starve to death.  I told my driver to see if he could find some long lengths of wood to lay against the roof to allow the kitten to climb down, whilst I went to see if I could find a ladder as the timber idea seemed like a non-starter.  

However, I couldn't locate one but by the time I'd arrived back the kitten was safely down on the ground.  Very skinny and a bit wobbly on its legs but down and safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment