24 May 2010

Hidden (Pleasant) Surprises

One thing I forgot, and it's something that I really shouldn't have forgotten to mention, is that when I was out cycling recently on my way to the salt farm I noticed a motorcycle just behind me, tooting his horn trying to get my attention.  I tend to ignore this type of thing as usually it's someone who wants to hassle you either for a job, for money or just attract your attention because they don't see many foreigners around here. 

On the motor bike was a young couple with the wife holding a tiny baby in her arms.  After he'd followed me for a short distance I stopped and the guy riding the bike handed me Php50, which completely confused me until he started making sign language that the money had fallen from my pocket.  Php50 to me isn't very much money (75p) but it's a reasonable amount to a Filipino.  I didn't want to take the money, trying to explain that they could keep it for their honesty but they weren't having it and neither one of them would accept it. 

This left me with a feeling that was completely opposite to the one I had when the low-lifes tried to lift my camera out of my backpack (Nearly Mugged in Iloilo) and certainly went quite some way in restoring my faith in the local people, which I suppose is only fair as generally the vast majority of those I meet are kind, friendly and welcoming.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, are you sure they didn't pick your pocket while they were trying to give it back to you...... ;-)

    ReplyDelete