01 May 2010

Contrasting Countries


I had yet another trip to Singapore.  It's important for one to be able to escape to civilisation once and a while and to be able to indulge in some quality living.  Having said that, the downside is the minute I arrive in Singapore I just start to bleed money.  It's phenomenal the amount you can get through in a weekend - and that's not being extravagant, that's just going out for a few beers.  Fortunately, due to the kind hospitality of a good friend of mine, I was able to stay at his place instead of having to splash out on hotel and this this dulled the sharp edge of the cost of my stay.

I had some banking and other business to carry out in Singapore, as well as doing some networking with colleagues from my previous employment in the hope of finding alternative employment now that the project in the Philippines is rapidly coming to an end.

Busily trying to make the most of my time I decided to have lunch on the hoof and bought a sandwich from the place were I used to go for lunch when I was in Singapore.  As I walked to my next task I unwrapped the sandwich and took a bite and in that moment, as the freshness and flavours of the sandwich washed over me I stopped dead and it dawned on me the overwhelming blandness of what I'd been eating in the Philippines.  You may think I'm being over dramatic regarding a simple sandwich but really, it was an absolute delight.  This sandwich far too good to enjoy walking around so I found a seat in a park next to a temple and took my time to savour and enjoy it.  I couldn't help thinking to myself: why can't I get a sandwich like this in the Philippines?  After all, they have all the necessary ingredients.  But it's a question I couldn't answer.  

An Appetising Hawaiian Sandwich from the Philippines
(See what I mean?)
I also spent a few days in Malaysia.  I love the huge contrast between two neighbouring countries that are essentially are made up of very similar people and which for a brief moment in history were one and the same country.  Both have good points and bad points but I'd struggle to rate one over the other. 

I flew from the Philippines to Singapore using Cebu Pacific, which is one of those budget airlines that you actually spend the same as you would have with a regular flight once you've added all the hidden extras.  Going to Singapore involves two flights - a domestic one from Iloilo to Manila and then the international leg from Manila to Singapore.  Going to Singapore was a daytime flight and wasn't too bad and was ok.  Just ok, not great.  At least I could look out of the window.  There is no other form of entertainment throughout the 3½ hour flight.  All drinks and food have to be paid for.  The seat allocation has to be paid for.  Any additional luggage over the stingy standard allowance has to be paid for.  Like I said, you end up paying as much for the flight as if you'd booked with regular carrier and had all those extras included which you normally take for granted.

But I had a point to prove:  I wasn't going to fly with Silk Air.  However, coming back my resolve wavered.  The budget terminal in Singapore is designed to remind you at every step you're a tight wad and you're going to suffer for it.  The flight didn't leave until 1:30am, which in itself wasn't a problem but once on board the flight, and despite having paid a premium extra-extra for the emergency exit seat I soon realised that sleep wasn't going to be possible.  The seats feel like they're made of planks of wood.  The head rest stopped at my shoulders.  The bulkhead stopped me from sitting straight and the seats were narrower and more restrictive than a kid's high-chair.  As a result I didn't get any sleep and I ended up with a cricked neck and shoulder as a result of trying.  Added to which there's no in-flight entertainment and it's dark so there's no point in looking out of the window.  I just sat there staring at the back of the seat in front of me for 3 hours.

The flight arrived in Manila at 5:30am and I spent 3 hours in a plastic seat waiting for my connecting flight.  On arrival in Iloilo I went straight to work but I have no recollection of the day's events as I was suffering from chronic sleep deprivation.

1 comment:

  1. Oh chump lose the moral high ground, stop suffering and for gods sake fly silk air next time, god your so much like your Sis, suffer in discomfort just to prove a point, ok, point proved, all be it with a stiff neck!And that sandwich resembles something I bought on Air Asia recently! Giant Chimp

    ReplyDelete