02 April 2013

Tourist in Singapore


Another business trip to Singapore at the end of January. In order to break the routine, some tourist attractions were visited during my spare time.

The Botanic Gardens are really very pleasant and I could easily spend a whole day there. The gardens are free entry and exquisitely maintained - isn't that what taxes should be spent on? The Orchid Garden is the only place where you need to pay an entrance fee and this was the first time I went in and it was well worth it, especially as it was only S$5 entry.







Dead Cat - well at least I thought it was dead, until I poked it.
Apparently, I was just sunning itself.











Unfortunate name for a flower!







Jurong Bird Park is also another favourite tourist spot. This is a bit more pricey at S$20 (£10) but compared to the entrance fees for some London attractions (Tower of London £21,45 for example), it's positively value for money.










What the .....?









A curry lunch in the Banana Leaf in Little India is well recommended. As the name might suggests, you don't get your food on a plate but served up on a banana leaf. The markets and shops around Little India seem so authentic that you could easily think you were actually in India (although I imagine India isn't as clean or orderly).










Colourful Little India















A trip to the Merlion Fountain, a water vomiting tribute to the imagination of the Singaporean Tourist Board, is about as touristy as it gets. But it's popular and always mobbed by crowds of people. I don't understand what the attraction is but obviously many people do. I guess the real attraction is it's only a short walk to the bars, restaurants and cafés on Boat Quay, which is I suppose a bit of a tourist trap but a nice one at that.










State sponsored graffiti in an underpass near Boat Quay



Time goes quickly in Singapore which is just as well as your money seems to go even quicker!





No comments:

Post a Comment