16 May 2011

Sad Realisation

When I moved into the house I'm living in now, it was unfurnished save for a very uncomfortable sofa and a TV stand.  Cooking wise, the landlord had provided me with twin hot plate so I could at least heat up a tin of beans or whatever or boil an egg.

However, a twin hot plate lacked some versatility so I went out and bought a halogen oven, having read good things about them on the internet.

I bought it from the department store in Clark, which is completely over-manned with staff.  Every aisle has 3 or 4 store attendants and every step of the way you are bombarded with endless "Good morning, Sirrrrrrrr".  I try to be good natured about this.  Why, at times I've even gone out of my way to respond to each and every one of them with a smile on my face: sometimes it works (for me) but at other times, when you'd quietly like to look around for or browse in peace it can became exceedingly irritating.

Another thing that really grates on me is if I'm looking at the Levis, an assistant will come up and ask "Levis, Sir?"  If I'm looking at sunglasses, an assistant will come up and say "Sunglasses, sir?"   If I'm looking at shoes, an assistant will come up and say "Shoes, sir?"  And so on and so on.

In addition, whilst you're looking at a product and deciding yourself on its merits, design and aesthetics, there's absolutely no possibility of you being left alone, but some enthusiastic assistant will start pulling other items off the shelves and shoving them under your nose with a not very helpful "Try this one, sir".

In the absence of any known brands I chose a halogen oven based on the model being called American, thinking that it was from America (it was displaying a stars and strips) and hence would be of a reasonable build quality, but this was misleading.  It was in fact made in China, although having had it for several months now it seems to be performing without a hitch (it'll probably break down tomorrow).

On getting it home I sat down and read the instruction manual.  There was a section headed "Suiting for People" and then listed a number of examples.  One of the examples fitted me perfectly and it was at that point I had a moment of realisation.  I'll leave you to see which you think is the most apt:

And now I don't feel lonely any more . . . .

4 comments:

  1. Haha, very funny, Old man

    P e t e

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're never alone when you've got a sausage on the go in Halogen Oven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki said the instructions can't be real, but you are getting on a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those instruction are real. 24 carat real. very amusing and not just the old man stuff.

    ReplyDelete